My start!


I started my life as many children. I was a happy an curious boy. I loved playing outside with the other children in the neighbourhood. I was not the most couragous, but my life was good. My biggest concern was getting diabetes, due to hearing that meant no candy or sweets, ever. When I started school I was quickly labled as "a nerd". I loved school and I was proud of being a nerd. I was teased and bullied by "the popular kids" and this was hard to deal with, but I was still mostly happy.

The summer after second grade I was supposed to remove my tonsils. Before the operation they checked my sugar levels and noticed they were elevated. I was told I had diabetes. I didn't know what to do. No more sweets! The next three weeks I was in the hospital to learn about living with diabetes, type 1. It did not take long for me to realize life would'nt change much other than having to check my sugar levels a few times a day and taking some shoys of insulin.

When I got home my life continued in many ways the same as before. I played basketball and played around when I was out of school. Life still seemed good. In hinesught I was teased and bullied ny my friends as well as the other kids. I didn't notice or think about it at the time, but I know now it made me uncertain and it was not good.

After some years I had to quit the basketball team due to the fact that my sight was gradualy disapearing. This was scary and I fell into depresion. The friends I had when I was younger had disapeared, but I had some new friends. I spent some time with them, but mostly I sat alone inside. I was scared of the world and this made me isolate myself. It was difficult and some dark thoughts came. 

My thought revolved around my reduced sight and what this meant. I felt like a burden. A burden for my parents, my friends, my school and society in general. I was thinking the terrible thought of ending my life. This thought was not present all the time, but it popped into my head from time to time. I did not plan suicide, but it was not a pleasant thought. 

My parents supported me and helped me as much as they could. They were pushing me to do something and getting outside. After two years I figured I should learn how to defend myself. I contavted several martial-art schools. One school said no to teaching a person with reduced sight. One school answered me and said we could try. 

I got some friends to join me and we went to try Taekwon-Do. I was scared, but excited. I was soon bitten by the bug and I loved practicing Taekwon-Do, but I did not think I would make it past the first belt. Through this training I got to meet nany pleasant people og both genders and of different ages. My social network started to grow. Because of the social aspect as well as encouragement from the instructors I tried to grade for the next belt, and I passed! I was very happy and this gave me more confidence. So I continued training and grading. 

School went better because of Taekwon-Do and I still loved learning. I had to split my last year of high school over two years. I did this to get more time on each subject because it didn't go as fast as the other students as a result of my reduced sight. I spent a lot of time sitting in the hall just staring at the wall. Just before Christmas, my third year I was aproached by a man who was the assistant of another student in the same school. He asked me if I wanted to try playing the piano. He told me he was self taught, and he wanted to teach me. 

When school started after achristmas I sat down to try playing with him. I was nervous and he has said he noticed it. He focused on me learning as well as having fun! It did not take long before I started to love playing. After ust four months I performed in front of other students and their families. I got a big aplause and it felt amazing. 

After a while my sight went completely away. Thanks to Taekwon-Do and playing the piano I managed to keep my chin up. I was affected by negative and at times suicidal thoughts but i kept going forward.  I started studying on after high school and this gave me happiness and new friends.

I can't remember why but the depresion returned. I didn'think of anything other than what was wrong with me and how I was ruining the lives of everyone around me. My suicidal thoughts became bigger. I contacted my doctor who sent me to a psychologist. I went to the psychologist for several years. Thanks to Taekwon-Do, the piano, my friends, family and the psychologist I got through and out of the depresion. Now the next big trial would be the black belt

I was nervous. Rgus was something I'd never thought about reaxhing. This test was big. I was contacted by several news outlets, and two different stations was there when I was going to try. I went out on the floor and did the different excersises I was supposed to. Kicks, patterns, step-sparring, self-defence, sparring, board breaking and push-ups. Last it was the theory part of the test. I am fond of theory and this went well. Then it was just waiting. The hours grew long and finally it was time for the result. I was shaking and I did not know how it would go. When the Mastered said my name I stood up and tried to stay calm, but inside I was twisting and turning. He gave the result. I had passed! I smiled from ear to ear and vowed. I was extremely proud and happy.

Due to rge media many people knew I had reached the first degree, black belt. I was contacted by different federations who wanted me to speak or teach Martial-Art and self-defence to people. I traveled a lot in Norway with other Martial-Artists and taught people with and without different disabilities. This gave me a bigger purpouse in life, in my mind. I wanted to show people it was possible to reach your dreams no matter disability or not. 


I have since then continued practicing Taekwon-Do and playing the piano. I have managed to achieve second degree, black belt. This has strengthened my psyche, my confidence, my body and everything positive in my life. 

Kommentarer

Populære innlegg fra denne bloggen

The smallest things

Losing is not losing!

Bullied for a lomg time