Prejudice

I meet a lot of different people. Both in my hometown and when travelling. Most of those I meet are generally nice, but I'm sometimes met with different prejudices. Now I'll write about some of the to hopefully get some of them sorted out.

The one I meet the most is "If a person is blind, they also have troubles hearing". Due to wolfram syndrome I have reduced hearing in my right ear, but not my left. My left ear works better than fine. People often lean closer to me and speak loudly when adressing me. This may get tiering at times.

The next one I want to write about is "Blind people should be spoken to as children". There are several instances when I'm out with friends where we meet new people. More than once the new person speaks to my frinds in a normal way, but ehen the speak to me their voice changes as if they spoke to a child and the words they use become sumpler than just a few moments ago. 

Many people are also under the impression that blind people are stupid and need special treatment. I am a regular person. This isn't common knowledge it seems. When some people speak to me they speak slowly and ask me time and time again if they need to explain what they just said. This is annoying and might be a waste of my time as well as other people's time. It might be a good idea to ask if I understood what you meant if you based what you said on something visual, but there is rarely a need tp ask every two minutes if I understand simple sentences. I do not need to be treated with kid gloves either. I love a challenge and my pois is not effected by my vision.

These things I've written now is not based on gow everyone treats me. It's based on how some people treat me. Most of the people I know treats me the way I wish to be treated. I love making fun of my situation and myself. 

There are several prejudices about everything. Wether it's disability, gender, age, work etc, but it's important to realize people are people. We are more than just one aspect of our lives. Everyone should be treated with respect and kindness. Do not judge someone. Try to get to know people. Accept differences. This may create a better society and might also enrich your lives. 


Please let me know if you have questions or topics I could write about.

Kommentarer

Populære innlegg fra denne bloggen

The smallest things

Are you prepared to support?

Bullied for a lomg time